Saturday, May 4, 2013

Story and a Song Saturday: Wedding and Anniversary Edition

This past Thursday was my 5th wedding anniversary.
This has been a very hard year for me, my family, and my marriage.
But we have made it, and we love each other, and that is what matters today.
And we have been taking things one day, sometimes one hour, at a time.
And right now, that is working for us.
And although some people feel that the "one day at a time" idea is irresponsible, or perhaps ineffective, I really don't care.

Because again, right now, that is working for us. 

This weekend, my husband took me on a little overnight getaway for our anniversary. We didn't have a lot of time, so we just went to the city and had a great few days. I'll tell my story in pictures this week.

First, we kissed our two sweet little loves goodbye, and we were on our way to the city. The hubs brought us a drink for the drive (with a straw for me, of course), and after only turning back for forgotten items once, we were off!


We checked into our lovely Bed and Breakfast, and the sweet lady at the front desk sent us to our room with the key and some divine chocolate chip cookies!



We walked into the suite, and it literally took my breath away. The floor was strewn with rose petals, drinks were chilling on ice, glasses were filled with chocolate kisses, chocolate covered strawberries were waiting for us by a box of cupcakes and the bed was up in a tree house!

After we checked in, we hurried to change clothes, and the hubs took me out to a fancy dinner.


When we got to the restaurant, I was already feeling like it was too much, in a good way. I have never been anywhere as fancy as he took me. Then we were walked to our table, and I realized there was a beautiful bouquet of hydrangas, roses and peonies (to name a few). I thought, "Wow, how pretty." Then I looked around and realized, ours was the only table with such an arrangement. My husband had called ahead and had it ready for me, with a card. A little gesture, yes. But I was almost brought to tears.



This is the view from our table. We watched the sun set behind the Salt Lake Temple as we ate dinner.


The dinner was amazing. There was a penne pasta dish that stole my heart. But the dessert was, in a word, divine. The following picture is JUST MY dessert. The hubs had his own. Yes there are two plates. Yes I ate it. And no, I'm not even sorry.



That night, we got back to our room, snuggled into our tree house bed to watch movies and room service brought us chips and salsa!


The next morning, there was a knock at our door, and when we answered it, an adorable breakfast was waiting for us.


After breakfast, we got massages in our room, watched more movies, and got packed up.

We left the Inn, went to get lunch, walked around the mall. By then, we couldn't wait to get back home and love on our kiddos!


It was such a great weekend. It was a much needed getaway full of surprises. My sweet hubs pulled out all the stops. I've never been treated or spoiled so much, and I couldn't believe it. It was hard not to worry about the prices or to feel undeserving (old habits die hard), but Daniel did a great job at reassuring me. Sometimes, it's okay.

The song this week is from my wedding video:





Hope you all had a weekend as great as mine!

-L

1 comment:

Josh and Makenzie Phillips said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you both.