Friday, July 12, 2013

Living for Today

I have been reminded lately how short life can be. We live our lives with a "tomorrow attitude" and a "yesterday perspective". We spend our days planning what we will need to have, need to do and need to accomplish in our tomorrows instead of what and who we need to think about today. We worry about who has hurt or offended us yesterday instead of who we should forgive and love today. We are all just people. We are not invincible. We are not bulletproof. We have absolutely no guarantee for tomorrow, and I can't help but think that at the end of my life, I probably won't look back and think, "I wish I would have done more laundry. I wish I wouldn't have forgiven that person. I wish I never would have got back in touch with that friend. I wish I would have read less stories to my kids and I wish I would have spent more time at work."

Nah.

I don't think that's what I'll be thinking about.

We are human, and yes, part of having a good today is planning on tomorrow. We should save our money. We should sweep the floor. We should study for that test, and we should have those goals. Sure, too much living in the moment can be a dangerous mindset when important things are disregarded in the name of "living for today". But! Sometimes, you're halfway through folding a basket of laundry and you have to just ignore the rest, because there are babies who want you to read them stories. 

And life is too short to wish I'd finished that basket of laundry instead.

So I left it.

And I read stories.

I wish the things that reminded me of this weren't so tragic, but they are sometimes. And I've been reminded to worry less about yesterday, obsess less about tomorrow, and actually live for today a little bit more.

That doesn't involve laundry. It involves bedtime stories. 



-L 

No comments: