Thursday, July 4, 2013

Guest Post: Lewis Harmon-The Day My Wife Cried Watching ESPN

Hi, everyone! L, here. Happy 4th of July!! I'm excited about today because of more than just the fireworks, Cherry Coke and BBQ's. Today is the first (of hopefully many) posts from a guest author and friend of mine.  Look forward to more posts from my mystery pal, and share the love.

-L
------------------------------------------------------------

The Day My Wife Cried After Watching ESPN

I’m a sports junkie and I love my country.  I’m not alone in those two categories I’m sure.  There’s nothing better than watching a baseball game on the 4th of July and the accompanying fireworks show after the game.  You get all patriotic seeing the red, white and blue of our country’s colors contrasted against the green of the grass field and the straight white lines painted on the infield diamond.  Better than that though is the way our country takes time to honor our service men and women.  Last year I was at a major league stadium for the 4th and they paraded out several young military recruits to the field and swore them in for duty with a huge American flag spread over the field for a back drop. Man, that’ll get ya. 

I’ve watched my fair share (and then some) of ESPN and other sports programming over the years.  My wife is the best and she tolerates my sports enthusiasm. Most of the time she just “tunes out” basically whenever I “tune in” to the nightly highlights of some over priced athlete slamming a game winning home run or drilling an incredible 3 point shot at the buzzer to win the game.

But this time it was different when Sports Center came on.  I caught my wife shed a few tears as she peaked away from reading her latest novel.  What you say?  How could this happen?  Was it the book she was reading?  No it was a great video piece put together by the folks at ESPN about military service men and women “coming home” set to the sounds of recording artist Daughtry’s “Coming Home”.  Wow, if that piece doesn’t pull some emotion out of you for these great people who serve our country and the love their families have for them, I need to check your pulse, or better yet check to see if you have a soul.  Not sure how that last one’s done, but anyway you get the idea.

See the video “Going Home" here. It’s a tribute to our military, and the folks who put together the ESPN front row blog produced it. I think you’ll like it.

Like Daughtry sings, “be careful what you wish for, you might just get it all…”  Our country is blessed by the selfless service given by our service men and women. They give it all so we can have it all. 

Yeah, that was the day my wife, who once called the great Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter, "Jeret Deter", cried after watching Sports Center.  A few tears might have leaked out of the crevices of my eyes too…


What a country!  Happy 4th of July!

-Lewis Harmon


No comments: