Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What's Up?


What's up? Well, a lot, actually! I've had so many things changing and happening the last few months and I suppose I was waiting until it all sort of slowed down to officially post about it all, but...life never slows down. At least not for me.

So, I suppose it's time to give a little update on my life and all the changes and happenings. First of all, my education is changing quite a bit. I'm no longer going to be going to the school I'm at now, and I've been accepted to a different college where they have a fashion merchandising program. I'll start that program this summer and I'm so excited to learn absolutely everything that I can about fashion to help my career.

As far as what I want to do, exactly, in the fashion industry...at this point, I'll take any of it! No, but really, I love the idea of working with department stores or boutiques or designers and helping with the merchandising of their products or resources. I'm not a designer, but I'd love to look into being a full time stylist as opposed to just the side work and weekend jobs I book for styling and personal shopping. I love styling for print work, but styling people for their everyday lives is so much fun for me, as well.

I was talking with someone who has hired me to do some personal shopping as a gift for his wife this Valentine's Day, and he said to me, "Why do you do this? Shopping is exhausting. Why would you want to do it for a living?" I laughed right out loud! Why wouldn't I? It's the kind of thing that I love to do for fun. If I could do it for a living, how could I not? We've all heard the quote that if you do what you love, you never work a day in your life. That's how I feel. Though I couldn't justify quitting my "real job" (I work at an HR company) because of the great benefits, (and honestly I really love my job!) looking toward doing something that I absolutely adore sounds so perfect to me. To be able to do a little of both? Doesn't get better than that.



There is a line in a song by Kip Moore when he says, "Happiness don't drag its feet and time moves faster than you think."

I've reached a point in my life, especially with the help and encouragement of my husband, where I just need to do what makes me happy. I don't have the time to wait around. Fashion and beauty and styling and makeup...those things are a blast for me. I've had concerns that working in the fashion or beauty industry would make people think I have less character, or that some people might not take me as seriously or think that I'm as educated or capable because I like clothes and shoes and makeup.

But then I thought, "Yeah, I don't care one little bit what you think."

My greatest joy in life are my two kids and my husband. But logistically and realistically, I have to focus my career around the other things in my life that make me happy, and I know that doesn't make me any less of a wife, a mother or a woman.

Why not do what makes me happy? And not just do what makes me happy, but do it and be proud of it. So that's where I'm at.

So I guess, that's what's up.

-L