Thursday, January 2, 2014

My 2013 Beauty Awards

I was not paid for any of these reviews or given any of these products gratis by the companies they represent.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm probably supposed to post something sappy about goals and new beginnings and all of that. But that crap is for my journal. And a facebook post or two. I just want to talk about makeup and girly stuff...

So, I really wanted to highlight some of the beauty (hair and makeup mostly) products I discovered over the last year, repurchased over the last year, fell in love with over the last year and decided wasn't worth my spit in the last year. Obviously, I can't name everything...but tell me your faves and flops in the comments.

Repurchases: 
Okay, so for me to repurchase something (or even hit pan in general before I get bored) is a big deal. Usually, by the time I run out of a product, I'm over it and onto something new. But there are a few things I've repurchased this year. I'll keep it snappy, ya'll.

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder
Awesome setting powder. Also works well over just concealer for some "no makeup makeup". Lasts a long time. Not too expensive. Don't overuse or it looks powdery.

Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray
I've blogged about this before. I originally got a sample size in my Ipsy and immediately bought a full size when the small one was gone. Gives me body and waves without making my hair frizzy, crunchy or anything else that sucks.

Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Eyeliner
I have blogged about these before as well. I love them. All of them. I would repurchase all the colors but the only one I used enough of to repurchase was brown.

Loreal Telescopic Mascara

My go-to mascara. I love it. I've used it since high school and every time I try something else I'm disappointed. Don't get the other types in the telescopic line. Stay with the original or Carbon Black.

Egyptian Magic Cream

I have blogged about this in the past and I'm still loving it. I use this on: my face, my hair, my sunburns, my kids' sunburns, Ellie's eczema, dry hands, etc.

Almay Lipgloss

Doesn't leave that gross film, not super pigmented but great for over lipstick or alone when you don't want to have a lot going on. Not sticky at all.

NYX Butter Gloss
Great color payoff, not super sticky (more sticky than Almay but not in a bad way), no gross film. I especially love the red one in the color Cherry Pie.

ELF Mineral Eye Primer

Nothing else works as well...

Favorites:
As far as favorites go, I've had a few this year that I haven't changed my mind about and I still love. Here ya go:

Living Proof Style Extender
I don't feel like there is a HUGE difference between my hair with our without this until the next day, when it doesn't look like hell. So, there's that.

ELF Studio Brushes
Specifically the flat top powder brush (Think sigma F80) and the kabuki brush

MAC Pro Longwear Concealer
Okay, this would be on my repurchase list but I haven't ran out yet. I absolutely love this. I am a fan for life. All the things you want in a concealer? Yep. No cakey. No settling. Full coverage. Etc. The price tag blows though. Like $30ish.

Revlon Colorstay Nail Polish
Yeah, if I use a topcoat this lasts without chips for a full week. 'Nuff said.

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette
I literally have used this almost every single day since I purchased it. I use it for a brow filler, also. Matte shades except for "venus" which is a great base and highlighter. The darker colors are great for definition, creases and even a liner.

Flops:
There have been a few things this year that I've purchased either on a whim or by recommendation that frankly suck. And nothing makes me more mad than when I waste my money.

Not Your Mothers Sea Salt Spray
Only use this if you like super tangly hair that is frizzy and doesn't curl or wave at all. Oh, and if you've used this, "crunch" has new meaning to you. Beach Babe? More like Beach, please...

Moroccan Sea Salt Spray
See description for previous spray. Ditto.

Big Sexy Hair Root Pump
People need to freaking stop saying this is good stuff. For short hair? Yeah, it's alright. Long hair? Hello greaseball and crispy roots. Stop saying it's good. Just stop.

Revlon Colorstay Lipliner in Sienna
This sucks.

Tresemme Dry Shampoo
If you like your hair to feel like straw, you should get this.

Here are a few things I'm looking to try this year. Let me know if you've tried any and if I should take the plunge or keep my boots on.

MAC Mineralized Skin Finish

Which shade? Worth the money? Any dupes?

Benefit Hoola Bronzer

I know, I know. Everyone already has it. But...should I, too? Or is it too matte? (If that's possible.)

Prada Candy Perfume

How long does the scent last? I'm not paying that much for perfume that lasts for a half an hour.

Well, happy 2014, everyone. Go ahead and insert something heartwarming and thoughtful about new beginnings >here< if it makes you feel better about this post that really doesn't have a lot of depth. But I don't care...

That's why I wrote it.

-L







No comments: