Monday, June 10, 2013

Dead Ringers

I wasn't sponsored for any of these reviews or suggestions.

Hey, ya'll.
So, this post has been in the works for some time, now. To give you a little background, I'm maybe the cheapest person alive, but I'm also kind of a snob and I want the best of the best.

See my dilemma here?

It's a rough life.

Anyway, in my quest to find the best and avoid spending small fortunes, here are some cheaper (read: drugstore) dead ringers for some of my favorite products.

Let me know what you think, and share the love if you know of some awesome dupes that I didn't include!

1. The Pencil Eyeliner That Won't Rub Off or Transfer to the Top of Your Eyelid

High End: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil
$19 at Sephora
Okay, so I LOVE this eye pencil. But guess what? It's like $20 at Sephora for EYELINER. Are you kidding me? Where's my free sample, thankyouverymuch? This stuff goes NOWHERE until you wash it off, though. Which is so great.

Drugstore: Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner
$5 ish
I am in love. I bought these for my sister and some friends, because I loved mine so much. (Wait, did I give you any, sis?? Meh.) These are so great because they stay put, but you can also blend it out and make it smokey-ish if you hurry and do it before it dries. If you wait, it's stayin' though. (Until you wash it off. Duh.)
The white and nude colors are gorgeous in the inner corner, and they stay put in your waterline and don't bug your eyes.

2. Setting Powder That Actually (ahem) SETS

High End: Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder
$34 at Sephora

I've talked about this gem before. I love it. I use it right after my primer if I'm using foundation, and I use it after my BB cream dries if I don't want the hassle of primer/foundation. It's super fine, so it doesn't allow you to get cakey and fills in all the little lines.
But it costs a fortune.

Drugstore: elf High Definition Powder in Translucent
$6.00

Just as good, people. It has silicone in it, which is the magic ingredient in our friend, Make Up For Ever. And I didn't break out when I used it. So there ya go.

Also, don't be dumb. It's a setting powder. If you use a ton, you'll look like Casper, savvy?

3. Lipstick That Doesn't Look Like Crap

High End: Mac. Duh.
$15 at Macy's

Everyone knows that the best high end lipstick ever is Mac. I'm in love with Bombshell and Raspberry Swirl, but Raspberry Swirl was unfortunately just a limited edition. (Why do they do that?!?)

Drugstore: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
$4 ish

It's kind of hard to find exact dupes for colors, but I love this lipstick just as much as Mac and it's like 1/4 of the price! Plus, they have a lot of matte colors that I love. Right now, my favorite is Primrose (a cream lipstick) and Sky Pink (matte).

4. A Cream Eyeshadow that Doesn't Crease, YA DIG?!

High End: Mac Paint Pot
$18.50 at Macy's

These are great. They do just what they say they'll do. They don't crease. They're pretty alone, or under powder shadow (primer style).

Drugstore: Maybelline 24 Hour Tattoo
$5 ish

These are just as good, last just as long (in the jar AND on your face, yo!), have just as many of the colors that I like, and you can get four for the price of one paint pot. Um...do I need to talk about this anymore? Mmk.

5. Highlighter So That I Can Fake it That My Face Looks Dewey Like a Sun Goddess

High End: Benefit High Beam
$26 at Sephora

This is so pretty. But the weird brush thing kinda throws me off. I just like my little sample. Mostly b'cause it was free. Holla.

Drugstore: elf Shimmering Facial Whip
$1. Yes, I'll repeat that. $1.

I love this, and I love all the colors. It's pretty as a highlighter on your brow bone, too. Works great with a stipple brush, and I like blending it with liquid blush. And it's a dollar. Oh, and it's a dollar.
But the name weirds me out. Facial whip?? eew.

6. Things To Make My Hair Look Like....Really Great

High End: Things That Smell Great, Work Great and Cost My First Born
(Redken, Aveda, Matrix/Biologe, Bumble and Bumble, etc.)

Drugstore: Suave Professionals

THIS ENTIRE LINE IS AMAZING.
And they're all like $3

7. Concealer For Ma' Mug

High End: Kat Von D Tattoo Concealer
$25 at Sephora

Drugstore: Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer
$5 ish
This one comes with a weird concealer pencil thing that didn't match so well...and I chucked it. Adios.

8. Brushes

High End: Sigma F35
$18 at sigmabeauty.com



Drugstore: elf Tapered Brush
$3 at eyeslipsface.com



These are both great, and the sigma is actually a little bit better. But not for double (plus) the price. Just not gonna happen.

So there ya have it! I know that there are so many more, so I'd love to hear what your favorite dupes are! Also, what do you think is WORTH the splurge??

-L

P.S. Get excited boys and girls (mostly girls....), because I just got word that my Birchbox and Ipsy Bag have shipped. Get ready for a review, yo.



2 comments:

KD said...

Love this! Can't wait to try, um, all of them!

Ester said...

LOVE this post, Lyss. Can't wait to try out this stuff! YAY!