Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ode Turned Tuesday Favorites

A few things ran through my mind today when considering what to write about. One such idea included a list of things that aggravate me. But we have not the time nor the energy for such a list.

In fact, I had a post completely written, but my computer turned itself off, and I don't want to traumatize anybody with gory details, but there was a casualty. Said casualty consisted of an ode to Carrie Bradshaw (I know my dad is glad to have dodged that bullet), but I guess it's okay...I'll take Steve Madden over Manolo's any day (they're beautiful, but I'll side with $70 over $700, thankyouverymuch).

Okay. I'll show some pictures. But then back to the task at hand:

Manolo Blahnik Black Ankle Strap Heels
These beauties are $695 at Saks:


Steve Madden Black Ankle Strap Heels
These gems are $80 on Zappos.com:



Catching my drift?


Anyway, where were we?

Oh, right. Miss Bradshaw.
Now, I don't typically believe in "signs" and the whole "everything happens for a reason" thing makes me roll my eyes, but that's a different post (ahem), a different mindset entirely. That being said, maybe due to the loss of my previous post, Ode on a Manhattan Shoe Connoisseur just isn't meant for today. But, thinking about her gorgeous shoe collection, the mental image of that cloud of smoke surrounding her Mac computer (think: more Grace Kelly and less Anna Nicole Smith), and that infamous commentary about the Scrunchies, got me on the trail of "trademarks". 

I think it's sort of narcissistic awkward for one to decide one's own trademarks. That's like choosing your own nickname. We all know that guy. And none of us like him. 

But, I do know what some of my favorite, go-to things are. At least this week! So, here are three things that I'm loving on this lovely Tuesday:

Cadbury Mini Eggs
I've probably eaten fifteen thousand of these this month. Off the top of my head, I can literally think of 7 specific bags that have been purchased and consumed. It's a problem. Don't judge me.


Maybelline Baby Lips 
I have every single shade of these that can be found. And if I don't have it, I want it. I love these. I'm obsessed. I use them every single day. I've been buying them and giving them to my sister/friends just because I love them so much. 



The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
And last, but not least, I'm officially loving on this book. I've been reading it on and off for the last few weeks, but haven't had time to REALLY read it. But I'm obsessed with Hemingway and this take on his life (from the point of view of his first wife, Hadley) is so interesting without feeling like you're reading a biography (it's a novel). It's tragic and beautiful and REAL. And even if you'd rather have the stomach flu than read Hemingway's staccato-like writing style, it's totally possible to pull yourself away from the idea that The Sun Also Rises (my favorite novel) was written at the time that this account of his life was taking place. It's really just a love story. And some love stories don't end "happily ever after". 



Well there you have it! You dodged the C. Bradshaw bullet, but escaping Manolo Blahnik entirely was a bit too much to ask. Don't get selfish.

What are some of your favorite things/latest obsessions? Maybe I'll give them a whirl and we'll have something better to write about than my obscene chocolate indulgence. Or we can stick with chocolate. I'm good with that...

-L

No comments: